Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Holly Bee!

Speaking with a stylist the other day about upcoming designers, she was telling me how difficult is to "accept" invitations for fashion week when you don't know the designer, when is someone new and therefore nothing has been written yet about him. It's difficult because the schedule is already too tight during fashions week and you don't want to end up in an amateur show feeling that you are wasting your time.
In the other hand, she was saying, we are the ones to support those designers, to "discover" them to the world, and so it's always a bit of a mental straggle to decide whether or not going or not going.
Then i told her about my experience with Ohnetitel whose first fashion show I attended and the same, I wasn't sure whether or not I should go... and how amazed I was, and happy, when I saw the collection, the people and met Diane Pernet by the way! That day I kind of learned the lesson; just go and see.
The same kind of experience she had with Jolibe... Joel Diaz is the head behind such a pure lines, no wonders he assisted Helmut Lang for 5 years. (a designer for who the girls behind Ohnetitel worked as well!).

This is part of his presentation for spring-summer 08




----------------------------

El otro dia hablaba con otra estilista sobre la dificultad de aceptar invitaciones a desfiles de diseñadores noveles de los que nadie ha hablado aun: el calendario de la fashion week es ya de por si super ajustado y no quieres acabar en algo amateur que te haga perder el poco tiempo que tienes para ir a un sitio u a otro.
Es dificil tambien, ella me decia, a nivel personal porque al fin y al cabo somos nosotros, estilistas y editores de moda, los que tenemos que"descubrir" y apoyar a la gente nueva.
Yo le conté mi experiencia con la primera colección de Ohnetitel a la cual yo tampoco sabia muy bien si ir o no ir hasta que decidí hacerlo... y la sorpresa y alegria que me lleve no fue pequeña cuando vi su coleccion, los absolutamente magnificos diseños, y la gente que fue, incluida Diane Pernet a la que tuve oportunidad de saludar. Desde entonces aprendí la lección: hay que ir y ver, y si no te gusta, te vas y punto.
Entonces ella me dijo que lo que a mi me habia pasado con Ohnetitel a ella le paso con Jolibe...
Joel Diaz es la persona detras de lineas tan puras, se nota que fue asistente de Helmut Lang
durante 5 años (que por cierto, las chicas de Ohnetitel trabajaron para Helmut también!).
Arriba su coleccion para primavera-verano 08.

7 comments:

Allison said...

At first I only saw the first three looks and though ok they are average but then I scrolled down and saw the dresses and fell in love with them! My favorite is the middle on in the second row.

Anonymous said...

is it strange that i think it's way more exciting to find new designers? i like a lot of the established fashion, but i think that's what makes sites like 'a shaded view on fashion' so great... it's totally out of the box.
:)

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Que lindos vestidos!!
Me encantó el post, muy sabio
Debemos atrevernos a hacer cosas diferentes, así de simple

Bobble Bee said...

jennine: no, you're totally right, it is way more interesting to discover and be surprised by unknown and talented designers!
i hope my english didn't put it wrong... there is only 1 or 2 good designers in an average of 10. During fashion week there is no time at all to "discover" and you can give your time only to one or two unknowns: which one should you decide?
It's like an actor trying to decide whether a movie will be good for his career or not. It would be perfect to be able to just do everything and see what happens but there is no time... that was what i was trying to explain.

Anonymous said...

I understand your point. There´re so many things going on, that it´s difficult to make a good selection and don´t feel your are missing something. But as far as you find ONE interesting new designer ot concept, well, that´s well enough...

kisses

mahret said...

I totally get your point! Sure WE have to support young designers, which is so easy and we can get a lot out of it. Nice unknown young designers (I LOVE OHNETITEL!!!), useful contacts and loyal friends. We can grow together! That's what I experience all the time. Young designers really understand the power blogs can have and we profit from them aswell...

I have to admit that I would ALWAYS skip the show of the established designer to disover something new. Especially in Berlin. The established stuff is SO boring mostly! Berlin is all about young fresh stuff!

I'm moving to Berlin soon, by the way. You are ALWAYS welcome to stay at my place. It's going to be HUGE!!!

Fenke said...

i totaly agree with allison - at first i thought oh well.. but scrolling down i discovered the dresses! they are really wonderful.