Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Mystery Train

Sweet Jen from Sleep Deprivation and Stories of my Bullshit Youth pointed out Jim Jarmusch' Mystery Train when I posted on Screamin' Jay Hawkins style.

It's been quite a while since she did so but finally I watched what has become one of my fave movies of all times.

Mystery Train, the first color movie of the American director, is the connection of three different stories in a hotel one night (with Screamin' Jay Hawkins' as Night Clerk and Cinque Lee, Spike Lee's little brother, as the young bellboy) in the city of Menphis: a couple of young Japanese travelers, Mitsuko (Youki Kordu) and Jun (Masatoshi Nagase), in search of the roots of their rock idols Elvis Presley and Carl Perkins. An Italian widow (Nicoletta Braschi), who awaits overnight in Memphis her next flight to Rome. And the three friends whose night will see an unexpected turn: trouble-making Johnny (Joe Strummer), his friend Will Robinson (Rick Aviles) and Charlie (Steve Buscemi).

I want to focus my post on the Japanese couple, specially her, Masatoshi Nagase, who wears the coolest outfits of the movie, like the tiger-shaped bag, very hard to forget.

Jim Jarmusch won the Best Artistic Contribution award at Cannes 1989 for this movie.

Costume Design by Carol Wood.

mysterytrain-01.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-02.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-03.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-05.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-06.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-07.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-08.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-09.jpg picture by 123patricia

mysterytrain-10.jpg picture by 123patricia

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great barbecued gorilla ribs! I didn't realize anybody else cared about Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Elizabeth said...

Or Mystery Train!

Michelle said...

Great post, reminds me to watch it again! I seriously love the Japanese girl's style, she has the oh so perfect leather jacket..

LYNN and HORST said...

looks really cool
with a lot of hot trashy fashion
and the hair!

roybot said...

my friend and me have been meaning to rent this movie for the longest time because she's a big jim jarmusch fan, but we never remember when we get to the video store. and ryan mcginely is one of my favorite photographers. you are so awesome.

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Isn't it amazing. I love her red lipstick. And Joe Strummer was in this film. I *must* dig it out...

CHVNX said...

I remember seeing this movie a few years ago on IFC in Canada.

IFC is the Independent Film Channel.

I thought it was weird at first but it turned into an interesting rockabilly themed movie.

Anonymous said...

jim jarmusch is great!

etoilee8 said...

I remember watching this movie when I was maybe eleven and thinking how very bizarre it was but how much I liked it! It was sort of a coming-of-age thing for me. . . finding this film and understanding it and liking it! But yes, the Japanese couple with their Elvis obsession stuck out in my memory. Their love for each other and her love for The King. . .

Anonymous said...

Very amazed by the fashion of the Japanese girl and how applicable her outfits are for us, even now! (: