Tuesday, November 21, 2006

American Apparel Sexy Life

I always thought that the American Apparel advertisments were absolutely amateur until
Stella et Moi pointed out the work of Napoleon Habeica.

American Apparel campaigns always claim to be made in their "apartments" or "stores", and the models not others than the sales people themselves. So i always pictured the photo-shoots as an after-sales party...

But i was pretty wrong.

Napoleon, whose work reminds me the one of Terry Richardson, is one of those photographers in charge of doing these sexy campaigns that cover our most hip magazines.

These pictures have been always quite controversial due to their explicit sexuality. I personally love the ads but i can understand the love/hate relation some people have with them; in one hand they're fun and sexy but in the other hand you see many many times the girls showing what some people think is maybe too much.

Probably the most polemic thing came when in 2005 Dov Charney, AA senior partner, was charged of sexual-harassment by three employees. Then it came out all the "backstage' of those campaigns and the no-so forward policy of the company.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You was not wrong : actually the models of the ads are the sales persons.
I really like your article and I ve never seen before this advertisement with Dov Charney. I guess this is a good ad.
(sorry for my english ! )

Isabel said...

I personally enjoy the grittiness of the ads. Love you blog!

Chus said...

This is what I think: Dov Chaney