Monday, November 13, 2006

Anglomania

If ever I come a second time on Earth, I will pray God
to make me be born in England, the Land of Liberty.
- Voltaire



I have a soft spot for British Fashion.
I love Paris and I do love New York but when it comes to rockin' out, British is my true woo-hoo love.
So what was my delightful sorprise when the MET in New York prepared the exhibition called Anglomania; Tradition and Transgretion in British Fashion.

I found it by chance when this summer my friend S. and i entered in the Museum to use the loo... we were wondering around when we saw this interesting entrance watched over by two gentleman manequin, one dressed by McLaren and Westwood and the other by a man in a sartorial panel circa 1660-88... it really looked interesting... let's take a look...

It has been one of the most thrilled fashion shows ever seen.
I know I shouldn't but i took some pictures... it was such a wonderful place that i absolutely wanted to have a souvenir. Forgive me the bad lighting and the bad compositions but i just took the pictures without looking at the screen at all!

Hussein Chalayan at The English Garden room.


The Punks at The Gentlemen's Club


The show featured the history of British Fashion through 9 very British topics; John Bull, The English Garden (the so-called english love for Gardens), Upstairs/Downstairs (class divisions), the Death Bed (English pageantry), Empire and Monarchy, Francomania (British loves France too), The Gentlemen's Club (gentlemen are so British!), The Hunt (do you remember the fox hunting scene in Mary Poppins?) and The Hunt Ball (let's celebrate the hunting throwing a big party!).

Unfortunately this post arrives a little late as the show ended on September 4th 2006, but it worthed it to remember. Enjoy the pics! and take a good listening to punk legend John Rotten speaking about it here

1 comment:

la femme said...

Thanks for that. I couldn't believe it when I went to the Met a few months ago and discovered that I had missed the Anglomania exhibit by just a few days!