Thursday, April 19, 2007

If I'd be ever known...

... when I was 19 years old that i would eventually meet the woman behind one of the first books i bought about fashion: Secrets of a Fashion Therapist, the great Betty Halbreich...
I bought that book just because i felt in love with the illustrations that Sally Wadyka did to portrait the ideas of this grand dame of the personal shopper's world. But then, once in my house and tired of looking at the images over and over again, i started to read the actual words in it. And it took me a while to really get into, as i am a defensor of the Do This Don't; i dont quite understand the reason of a fashion style guide, evey single person in this world has a style, it's a matter of time and imagination to show it at its best, isn't it?. And you need to find it by yourself unless you want to be someone else's clone.
But for some reason this fashion style guide hooked me. It had something, two things, that i appreciated the most: respect for women and sense of humour.
Eight years later, absolutely by chance, i met Betty while looking for a coat i needed for a music video i am styling the next weekend.
She was the person in charge of Studio Services at Bergdorf Goodman, she said Hi, I'm Betty Halbreich, and I knew who she was right away... I asked her about her book and she smiled.
If there is something I love of NY is this everyday chance of meeting someone you have been thinking of forever... ^_^

5 comments:

Flavia Flanders said...

yes.. ny is special...
cya,
+molly g.+

Madelene said...

that must have been quite a coincidence. Did you ask her something about the book?

María said...

Your post gives me hope. I'm 19 and my dream is to work in the fashion industry someday. You made my day! :)

Bobble Bee said...

Le Portillon* = yes, such a coincidence!! i was just asking for the person in charge at Studio Services and when she introduced herself to me i couldnt believe it.. yes, i told her the same story i wrote in the post, about her book and my "experience" with it. She is such a lovely dame, seriously. She smiled to me, and then she said "let's get back to work!" ^_^

Allure* = Yeah, you have to keep trying to work out your dreams. The day you expect the least, things start to come true. Im serious! x

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this story. my mother has this book, i found it one night when i was visiting and couldn't get to sleep, i read the whole thing. even though she's from a totally different era than me, i learned a thing or two! i would totally love to meet her, she has such a great strong personality and sense of humor!