
I met Gia Bahm in June 2007 when she was looking for an assistant and I was desperate for a job. I've been assisting her on and off since then and I swear she's not paying me an extra buck when I say that she is the best boss i ever had.I knew she had a jewelry label but never paid enough attention until she got a new studio and I started to frequent it very often (it was our styling headquarters). There she had all her pieces and I literally got in love with her whole process in designing them.
Everyone's favourite store Opening Ceremony contacted her to carry her label Unearthen in their showroom and soon she got her pieces at French über cool store Colette.
One of those days of styling madness I took a couple of pictures in the studio and she answered a couple of questions for me.
En Junio del año pasado conocí a Gia Bahm en un momento de desesperación para ambas: ella estaba buscando asistente y yo estaba desesperada por trabajar. Desde entonces la he asistido a intervalos regulares y es posiblemente el mejor jefe que he tenido hasta ahora (y prometo que no me esta pagando dinero extra por que diga esto!).
Cuando empecé a trabajar con ella sabía que diseñaba sus propias joyas pero nunca le di mayor importancia... ya sabes, lo que tienes cerca ni lo miras... hasta que se mudó a un estudio nuevo y empecé a frecuentarlo asiduamente ya que allí era donde siempre quedabamos antes de empezar cualquier trabajo nuevo.
Desde entonces muchas cosas han ido cambiando: Opening Ceremony se puso en ocntacto con ella para llevar la linea de joyas y pronto sus piezas empezaron a verse en lugares como Colette
En uno de estos dias de locura frenetica, despues del trabajo me quedé de charleta en el estudio e hice algunas fotos. Luego me contestó algunas preguntas... en Paris.
Q. Where did you work before designing for your own label Unearthen? /// A qué te dedicabas antes de diseñar tu propia colcción de joyas, Unearthen?
A. I have been working as a wardrobe stylist. Unearthen is my first time designing a jewelry line.
Antes era estilista. Nunca antes había diseñado joyas así que Unearthen es mi primera incursión en este mundo.
Q. Why did you decide to start the label? /// Por qué empezaste Unearthen?
A. I have always been so into jewelry. When I was little I would look through my mom's collection of turquoise bracelets and necklaces and just stare at them. She would rarely wear them they were so precious. In college (and now still) I would wear crazy stuff I found at the thrift store, random pieces of 80's clip on earrings and Paul McCartney's Wings pins, things like that.
Recently, I started to notice people's jewelry style on the train. A lot of necklaces. All of these people wearing a reminder of something or some other memory so close to their heart. What a special way to wear something, what a special statement.
Then I became obsessed with crystals...
Siempre he sido muy fanática de las joyas. Cuando era pequeñita solia quedarme horas mirando la colección de pulsera y collares de turquesa de mi madre. Ella nunca llegaba a ponerse nada de todo eso ya que las consideraba demasiado "preciosas". Cuando iba a la universidad, y aun hoy, solía ponerme joyas de lo más estrafalarias que compraba en tiendas de segunda mano, pendientes de los 80's, chapas del grupo Wings de Paul McCartney, en fin, cosas así. Ultimamente me estoy dando cuenta de lo que la gente se pone en el metro en cuanto a joyas. Un montón de collares. Es como si quisieran llevar recordatorios de algo muy cerco del corazón. Me parece algo muy poetico. Luego empecé a obsesionarme con cristales...

Q. Why did you start designing with gems and empty cartridges? /// Por qué empezaste a diseñar com piedras semi preciosas y cartuchos de bala?
A. I went with a friend to a crystal store. She was looking for tangerine quartz to help her with some ailment. I'm into the idea of crystals as antidotes. I bought a few crystals, and I just tripped out on them. I thought they were so beautiful. It became my new hobby. I would go regularly to the crystal store. Once, when I was on a trip to a store in Pennsylvania, I saw a crystal in a silver setting that reminded me of a bullet casing. When I got back to New York, I went to the army navy surplus, bought a fake bullet that was on a key chain, pulled the bullet out of the casing with pliers, and added a crystal. It was very second nature. I needed to make this thing.
Un día fuí con una amiga a una tienda de cristales semi-preciosos. Ella estaba buscando un tipo de cuarzo llamado Tangerine que la ayudase con algunos problemas que estaba teniendo de salud. Siempre me ha gustado el hecho de poder ser curado a traves de los cristales, entonces compré algunos para mi tambien. De ahi en adelante todo es historia, me quedé enganchada, me lo tome como un hobby y siempre que podia me escaba a la tienda de cristales. Un dia, en un viaje a Pennsylvania, vi una piedra incrustada en una especie de bala de plata. Cuando volví a Nueva York me fuí al centro donde los militares navales tienen los excedentes y alli me hice con una bala de mentira que tenia una cadena, quité la bala del casquete con alicates y añadí el cristal en su interior. Me gustó tanto el resultado que decidí empezar a diseñar mas piezas.

Q. What's your favourite rock and why? /// Cual es tu piedra favorita y por qué?
A. I am in love with Aquamarine. I always wear it. It comes in lots of the prettiest blue colors. I really love Fluorite too, and also a new crystal--Green Amethyst. There's some unknown attraction to these crystals for me, I can't tell you exactly why...the power of crystals I guess, haha!
Me apasionan los Aguamarinas, siempre llevo alguno. Vienen en un monton de tipos de azul, bien bonitos. Tambien me gustan las Fluoritas, y un nuevo cristal llamado Green Amethyst. Hay algo en los cristales que me atrae muchisimo, no se... el poder de los cristales! jaja...
Q. What's the most exciting thing that has happened since you started Unearthen?
/// Cuéntame la anécdota más interesante que te haya pasado hasta ahora con la marca.
A. It's pretty exciting to see how into crystals people get, I guess because think crystals are so beautiful too. And you would never guess how a totally macho dude or the most straight-laced fool will become transfixed at the sight of a beautiful gem.
Es bastante excitante el ver cómo la gente se interesa por los cristales, me imagino que es porque los cristales son algo bien bonito. Y te podria llegar a sorprender la cantidad de "macho man" que hay ahí fuera al que la vision de un cristal le convierte en un corderito!.

Q. Any jewelry designer to mention? /// Algun diseñador de joyas favorito?
A. Sure. I saw a exhibition this summer in San Francisco that had an amazing YSL amethyst broach... I keep thinking about it.
Cómo no. Este verano pasado ví una exposición en San Francisoque tenian un broche de amatista de Yves Saint Laurent que no me lo quito de la cabeza.
Q. What's your favourite store for jewelry and/or for clothing? /// Qué tiendas de joyas y/o ropa nos recomiendas?
A. I love The Good The Bad and The Ugly [ in NYC ], they always have a smartly curated selection of jewelry, and they make their own stuff too. They recently made a 14k gold miniature bicycle necklace that is so cool.
The same answer would apply for clothing. If I buy anything new, this is where I shop.
Me encanta The Good The Bad and The Ugly en NY. Tienen una selección de joyas de los más cuidada, hace poco tenían una bicicleta de oro de 14 kilates en miniatura que era una pasada. Respecto a tienda de ropa? pues lo mismo, si tengo que comprar algo siempre acabo alli.
Q. What are you working on right now? /// En qué estas trabajando ahora?
A. Planning a trip in February to the biggest Gem and Mineral show in the world!
Estoy planeando un viaje en febrero a la feria de rocas y minerales más grande del mundo!
Q. What are you reading these days? /// Qué estas leyendo?
A. I just read "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. One of the best books I have ever read. Now I need a new book, any suggestions?
Acabo de acabar "into the Wild" de Jon Krakauer, probablemente el mejor libro que he leido en toda mi vida, así que ahora estoy a la búsqueda de algo nuevo... alguna sugerencia?

pictures and text by me


9 comments:
very very interesting, ill pass it foward!
gracias por tú consejo sobre las fotos, después de subirlas las guardo a buen recaudo pero tienes razón, quizás debería ponerlas en un flickr...pero es más rollo no???. Nueva cabecera, genial lo que comentas de tú Jefa, sin que suene a peloteo y a ver si me animo un día a contestar un meme. ...digamos que los tengo como un poco prohibídos. Un abrazo guapa
I really should follow jewelry designers more. I wish I had time to do spare reading. You asked excellent, substantive questions!
She looks like a nice person, someone who'd be a delight to work with or for. I love crystals and now am keen to see this green amethyst one.
SF has some amazing crystals thanks to the confluence of the New Age and neo-hippie cultures.
Creativity is a beautiful thing!
major news!! I am collaborating with Allecra from 24.7 twentyfoursevenallecra.blogspot.com , and we are going to have 24.7 Together!! so all my link buddies should change the link to the above url, and the name 24.7 !! Goodbye MENTAL. Dont worry it will still be me writing, just on another blog. And Allecra is great so we're going to have lots of fun !! see you there !
great header! :)
I just saw this line at Refinery29 not too long ago and was planning on posting about it ntxt week. Such a cool interview, patricia!
Me gusta tu nueva "cabecera". La verdad es que me parece que la entrevista está muy bien planteada, ahora solo queda esperar a que nos enseñes la colección
roxana + riz + in yr fshn:
thank you! it's funny but it's always easier to interview people you know because you already know beforehand the good stuff behind it what' that makes it easier to find the right question... :) she was also really generous with the answers.
suzanna mars: i totally agree
atelier: no dudes en ir a su web, alli puedes ver la coleccion al completo.
Post a Comment