Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Useless in No Sense

Happy New Year dear bloggers!!

First of all I'd like to thank the dearest Suzanna at Le Style Savage for giving me a Thinking Blogger Award (Mahret at F&Art awarded me in November too so I did my awards here.). Although no knowing each other personally, she is one of those people that I'm very fond of because she likes what I like and she has really interesting thoughts about fashion and all kind of random matters. Therefore, this is a very special award. :)

Next, let's start the year with one of the most interesting designers I discovered last season, Chinese Ma Ke (馬可) and her label Wu Yong, what means "Useless" in Chinese, a rather unfair tittle for such wonderful pieces.

The first time i read about her was in the March 07 issue of Paris Vogue, in a wonderful portrait by journalist Sonia Rachline.

Chinese filmmaker Jia Zhangke dedicated his second part of his documentary "Trilogy of Artists" to the work and world of Ma Ke, a 35 years old woman who stands against almost everything to do with haute couture (surprisingly though, she showed her collection for the first time in Paris at the Joyce Galerie at 168 Galerie Valois last year), a woman that believes in raw materials, craftsman techniques and the back to the nature, burying literally pieces of her collections in the earth in order to soak them with nature and history.
The documentary was shown at the 51st London Film Festival last year (Oct. 17- Nov 1) and you can read more about it here.

Unfortunately, as it often happens with interesting designers (Ligia Dias, Louise Goldin), the personal website is nowhere so the little info we can get will be precious as a raw gem. Please keep me updated.


// En estos dias la traducción al español, sin falta!. besos y feliz año!!

3 comments:

Liv said...

Looks very interesting. I especially love to hear from designers that are not Europe or North American based. It's always interesting to learn how they see fashion maybe in context of their cultural background

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Feliz Año Nuevo!!!
Felicidades por tu premio también, te lo mereces por darnos tantos nuevos puntos de vista fahsion cada vez que posteas!

riz said...

Happy New Year BB!
You are so well-read. I really like the pieces I am seeing here...