I thought it was very funny when Jennine from The Coveted commented in my post about "the Wondercup" that men are just as vain as us...I totally agree and I remembered the book Manworks.- A Guide to Style that I recently bought following the advice of my dear hubby who knows that I like everything that's men-related (as i said so many times before).
The book was written in 1980 by make-up artist and journalist Stan Place (I wonder if he's the same Stan Place from Maybelline), and it's a men's guide to style (hair cuts, scents, exercise, shaving...). It can be quite hilarious sometimes (80's style) but in general it would be a perfect bed-book for The Sartorialist.
I only miss real images in the book as everything in it is illustration except for the cover; wouldn't be awesome to have some men styles from the 80's?
Some tips from the book...
" Should men color their hair? Yes, if they want to"
" Don't let the word style throw you. Good, bad, or indifferent, a hairstyle is something every man does have --even Yul Bryner and Telly Savalas, who have no hair"
" Scents can be used to create an atmosphere or a mood, to enhance sexual attraction, and to become a part of a person's total image."




/// Este post es en honor al comentario que Jennine de The Coveted hizo respecto al post que publiqué sobre el "Wondercup". Ella, muy sabia dijo que "los hombres son tan vanidosos como lo podamos ser las mujeres...".Me recordó el libro que me compré hace poco siguiendo el consejo de alguien bien cercano me dió sabiendo el vicio que tengo con todo lo relacionado con la moda de hombre titulado Manworks.- A Guide To Style.
Es un llibro para hombres y cómo mejorar o desarrollar su estilo... Fué escrito en los años 80' así que a veces peca de "pasado", pero en general es una maravilla.
El único "pero" es la ausencia total de fotos... todo es ilustración excepto la portada... y siendo un libro de los 80' no estaria nada mal ver algun que otro modelito de los de entonces...


11 comments:
I love those drawings. They're very 1970s Joy of Sex, without the naughty parts.
2008 FASHION BLOGGER AWARDS ARE HAPPENING, PLEASE FILL OUT THE NOMINATION FORM @MAHALOFASHION.COM
Thanks,
Jen
Love the sketchy mode in which the imaged are presented...
Indeed a classic! And so elucidating: Bald is a hair(less) style.
Wouldn't it have been fabulous to find a copy of this educational guide on some man's nightstand, circa 1982? To pluck or not to pluck, that is the question!
That is the very same Stan Place. I remember him from that era.
FELIZ AÑOO!!
Oye en serio, haces un trabajo extraordinario...flipo!
un beso grande!
women grow up with any kind of advice from magazines. men are just not used to sth like that. it doesn't mean they do not want or look for it. i know my man does!
Mi abuelo se tintaba el pelo...:-)
A veces las ilustraciones son mejores que fotos, parece ser el caso, besos!
Hola! Gracias, gracias, gracias por escribirlo también in spanish... :p es que el inglés no lo manejo como para entenderlo a la perfección, pero ahora ya puedo leerte y enterarme de todo... :D
Me parece chulísimo el libro, tú sigue enseñando los que tengas o te compres, que por lo menos a mí me gusta verlos.
Hace unos días vi en un Vips un libro, bueno, dos libros enoooormes sobre Moda, toda la historia. Cuestan 40 euros (rebajado) y es de la editorial Taschen. Están chulísimo, si me lo compro ya pondré alguna fotito.
Un besazo :*
i'm back! i'll be catching up on your blog (and everyone else's) in due time.
also, i know you've gotten it already, but i'm giving you another nod for the thinking blogger award. you're that awesome!
That book looks both hilarious and amazing. I like how they call beards "face fur," though I might be the one out-dated on that terminology. I wonder if any men still subscribe to this scripture (Trump comes to mind)...
es como "How to walk in high heels" pero para hombres :)
Post a Comment