Friday, August 22, 2008

Glorious Scars

There is a whole beauty market to get rid of scars and acne marks; lotions, Vitamin E capsules, cortisone injections, surgery, spa treatments... I once lived with a girl that was so obsessed with her scars that she could payed hundred of dollars per month just to get rid of them.

Surgery for scars that were produced in terrible accidents disfiguring one's face is one thing to support, of course. But I would like to question this nowadays' panic on imperfect beauty. Why is that?

Aren't scars beautiful? the most magnificent prove that we are alive?
They tell untold stories, and there's nothing sexier than a man with a striking scar...


Joaquin Phoenix's lip scar:

joaquinphoenix.jpg picture by 123patricia


Harrison Ford
's chin scar:

HarrisonFord.jpg picture by 123patricia



David Gandy's eyebrow scar:

davidgandy-vman5.jpg picture by 123patricia



Sean Avery
's lip scar:

seanavery.jpg picture by 123patricia


Le Corbusier's leg scar:
image courtesy of search & destroy

lec3.jpg picture by 123patricia


Mary J Blige's eye scar:

bligegapsmall.jpg picture by 123patricia


Kristen McMenamy's belly scar:


14 comments:

WendyB said...

I have a nose scar that I got as a toddler when I fell while first learning to walk. A while ago someone asked me if I had gotten a nose job because they noticed the scar. First of all -- rude! Secondly, why would I go to a surgeon who'd leave a scar right across my nose!

Anonymous said...

I have one on my forehead, I ran into a tree when I was 4 and therefore have the best looking black-eye and eye patch birthday party pictures(when i turned 5). Well I have a huge collection of scars, but I love them all.
What eye candy, Joaquinn is divine and a vegan, and a uber-hottie. yumza!

Songy said...

I don't find scar beautiful but it does lead to stories. it could be plain old genetic thing or tragedy or fun stories we can laugh about.. stories are all good sad or happy. Making life more interesting..

Anonymous said...

singular scars and acne scars are completely different. an imperfection here and there is nothing- a face marked with divets from all the pimples they've had over the past decade is another story. i don't expect anyone who doesn't live with them every day- those who don't know how precious it is to be in daylight and not feel self-conscious- to understand at all. beautiful, it is not.

June said...

the -versace- pic is so amazing...=)

Anthea said...

Joaquin Phoenix is gorgeous :) He'd be gorgeous no matter what. I loved him in Walk the Line. Scars show character and make you unique:)

Anonymous said...

I've got the hugest( if thats a word) crush on Mr. Phoenix...hehe

{Tara} said...

I love these photos -- I hate perfection, ecspecially when it comes to looks. A scar can add character, intrigue...even sexiness. Great post!

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend asked me recently about a scar on my temple. I've had it so long, I forgot it was there and replied, 'What scar?' (Gotten during chicken pox, before I can remember.)

Anonymous said...

Great Post! I wish there were more post like this in the fashion sphere.
There is great beauty in imperfection, and also so much personality.
Same goes for age telling wrinkles - a face without them is a life not lived...I would rather look at a person who has been and done than on one that hasn't or denies it.

Anonymous said...

YAY! I LOVE this post. So refreshing. I have 70 scars on my legs (yes, I've counted, lol) so to read this positive article has made my day :) Keep it up <3

elponk said...

great post. I Joaquin Phoenix's scar.

Michelle said...

Ooh, I think scars can be quite sexy, esp on Joaquin Phoenix, hehe.

Anonymous said...

Ties toda la razón. a mí me encanta hacerme heridas, aunque no he conseguido ninguna cicatriz especialmente sexy.
Olivier para Nina Ricci homenajea a las cicatrices en su colección de este otoño, no?