Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Prada in the Middle of the Desert, That's It

Marfa, this little town in West Texas where I have spent some good 5 days in a wedding, is not only known by movie buffs, but also by Art-meets-Fashion freaks.
In our way to Marfa from El Paso late at night we saw a bus stop lighten up, or so we thought. It was strange to think of it as a bus stop though, because it was literally in the middle of no where. Even stranger was to hear someone in the car mentioning, " I think that's the Prada store" ...
Incredulous we pulled over and came back to the place; he was right, it was a Prada store, a Prada window's displayed, to be exact.
We took some pictures and we even saw a bullet mark in the window; I guess we weren't the only ones to want the inside merchandise.

The day after we investigated a little more about this store, asking the locals and the people at the wedding.
They enlightened us about this art installation called Prada Marfa from Berlin-based artists Elmgreen & Dragset who chose this location between the towns of Valentine and Fort Davis in West Texas for it. The place wasn't deserted even before, as there was located the then-famous Oasis Gas Station...
I investigated a little more in internet and this GREAT interview to the artists in KultureFlash came up.

So yes, it's Prada. And not, it's not a store. It's Art. Indeed.

* nightlight picture by me
* daylight picture by source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're so lucky to get to see it up close! i've only read about it and wondered what it would be like to stumble upon this in the middle of nowhere.

blushing apples said...

soo cool, At first I thought how is a PRADA store in the middle of nowhere!heh! i'm fascinated by disolated towns.