Thursday, August 02, 2007

Preen goes New Yorker

When I read this morning on Style Bubble that Preen was showing from this season on in New York instead of London, two feelings struck my soul: In one hand I was over happy to have the chance of going to see the show or at least, to wait outside the tents, or wherever this year the catwalks will be, and see the people, the models etc.
In the other hand, i couldn't agree more with Susie, seeing this step as something close to a bad movement for Preen; they, as many British designers, have a look and an aesthetic that, unfortunately or not, American market has not. The money is here, true, but it is a difficult place to sell due to its own taste; NYFW lays its foundation in simplicity, and i don't only mean minimalism, as it happens with designers like Calvin Klein, Donna Karan and the like , i mean also boring, many of the times, go to style.com and tell me if I'm wrong.

NYFW is so packed with shows that it is very difficult for stylists and fashion editor to attend them all, not difficult, i would say impossible. And besides, in NYFW the public has other tastes, for better or for worse, and they tend to attend what it's politically correct; they are not known for being the most supportive press when it comes to original designers.
I guess, anyway, that Preen knows all of this beforehand and has worked hard to avoid what happened to Boudicca with their departure from NYFW after only two seasons showing here.
So i wish I'm wrong and what Preen is doing is the right thing for their company, and hopefully a standing place in their show.

** photos source

No comments: