Saturday, September 08, 2007

Coveting The Coveted

Jennine from The Coveted has become, in less than a year, a favourite of all of us who once had the fortune to stopping by her amazing fashion-related blog.
Her style has developed since then and what started as a girl-likes-clothing log became a girl-knows-fashion Bibble.

Together with Susie from Style Bubble, Jennine is a fashion voice that many of us fashion bloggers count on, and witnessing her fight against SFFW and her not-so-little ending success, was such a wonderful story to follow.

She belongs to those group of lovely bloggers who, no matter what, bring us every day interesting news to keep our minds in awe, and thanks to her, my fashion point of view has become wider.

Thank J for your posts, this is a little homage to your wonderful work.

** Why did you start to fashion blog?
Oh dear... why I started to blog about fashion....
Well, I've always been intrigued with blogging. I started a blog about 2 years ago, but it sucked, because it was about my day to day life, and it was a bit too self indulgent. Years later, after a shift in consciousness, I realized that many of my friends were asking me shopping questions. I didn't even think my style was that great, but I did really enjoy telling people where I got my clothes from. After a combination finding Style Bytes and Style Bubble, my own shopping habit, and annoying my friends with eBay finds and things I covet... I had a blog subject.
The final element to my story was I had been seeing a career coach for about a month, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. He told me to take photos of things that inspired me, and that's really when I started The Coveted. Originally I thought I could do a street style blog, but I'm not very good at it, so I just stuck with photographing myself.

** When did you start to be interested in Fashion? Why is fashion an important piece in Jennine's life?
Hmm... I don't know to tell the truth. I think since I was little. My mom is not really into fashion nor is she particularly girly... She dressed me in sneakers and jeans as a kid, and all I wanted was to wear dresses. I remember the first fight we had about shoes. She wanted to get me sneakers or Maryjane's, and I wanted these black ballet flats (I thought shoes without straps were very grown up). She said they looked like boats, and I didn't care, I wanted them. It was a terrible fight. I was six.

As far as why is it important today, well, I look at is as the visual articulation of of my spirit. My body is nature, fashion is my nurture.

** What's your goal as a fashion blogger? what's your challenge?
You know, I tend to put my foot in my mouth a lot. That's my biggest challenge. I started The Coveted in search of my professional passion... my goal... is to one day live off my blog or in fashion.

** A question you always ask and we all die to know from you; What's an average day in Jennine's life?
Oh my... that's not really very exciting... really. During the week, I work as a graphic designer. I walk to work, and often photograph myself along the way. At night, I come home, have dinner, hang out with my two cats and write.

** You have interviewed a very interesting people, including favourite blogger of all times, Susie Bubble. Could you tell me some spicy anecdote, or a funny one ?
Oh no...it's all been a bit cut and dry... everyone has been so lovely! I think my favorite was the interview I did with you a while back, because it opened my eyes to the personal nature of blogging. Also, I really like Serena Cole. I hope to meet her in person Friday at her gallery opening.
** When you approach people in the streets to take their picture? what's their reaction? do you tell them who you are and what the picture is for? Has any of the people approached recognized you?
No one has recognized me. I'm not famous. Most people are nice, once I got a guy who seemed to be tripping on acid, and another time I got a crazy chick who started screaming at me. I sure can pick 'em right?

** Three favourite photographers? Three designers?
Oh my... I don't know where to begin...
Dianne Arbus is perhaps my all time favorite photographers. No one has really been able to capture the bizarreness of human nature.
Designers? Hehe, today, I'm really feelin' Missoni. You know for some reason, I'm obsessed with their textiles. Oh yeah, because it's awesome. And it somehow fits in California.

** A look to covet this season
Yes, look happy, it's autumn, and it's time to play.

4 comments:

blushing apples said...

great interview, i have not visited her blog. she seem down-to-earth! :D

WendyB said...

Great interview. I heart Jennine! The first picture you posted is one of my favorites of her, ever.

Anonymous said...

Lovely interview. I'm a a huge fan of Jennine's blog and have followed her since she first started posting photos to Wardrobe Remix. It was great to see the thought process behind all of this.

JO said...

Nice post - great interview - I Love her blog! She seems so nice too. Very down to earth :)

PS your site is great too, I stop by from time to time.