Friday, October 26, 2007

Andre Is The New Kate. Andre is FANTASTIC.

Reading people's bad reactions in relation to the latest cover of Paris Vogue with artist Andre J. and model Carolyn Murphy shocked me more than the cover did to them.

I think the cover is fantastic, and best of all, Andre is fun and interesting and it's always refreshing to see new faces in magazine covers.

The first time I saw Andre's image i said to myself, "this kid reminds me of someone else"...
Thinking over et voilá! I found the portrait The Bearded Kate by photographers Vinoodh Matadin and Inez van Lamsweerde.
The picture was taken in 2005 and shown during the exhibition The Kate Show at FOAM in Amsterdam last year.

Another character who reminds me Andre is Harold Perrineau in his role of Mercutio in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet (1996). In the party scene Mercutio wears a white afro wig, beard, red lipstick and an ultra tight sexy silver short dress (Halloween party-goers, here there's throwing some ideas). What a pity i couldn't find a better image than this ... But Andre is exactly the same! Same hair, same beard, same dress, same attitude... I wonder if he does it on purpose or not, in any case, the wink is there and the image of Harold's butt at the rhythm of Kym Mazelle's Young Hearts Run Free is unforgettable. Thanks Andre for bringing it back.

New Yorker fashion designer Mal Sirrah enlisted Andre to narrate – “One Dress – All Women – One World”, for his Spring-Summer 08 collection. Positivism never looked so sexy!

Andre:

"My favourite fashion icon, believe it or not, is the one and only, Diana Ross [...] I've never seen a woman so elegant, so glamorous, so lean and just so captivating"

" The key in living your life is you don't need validation from anyone. A good compliment or a bad compliment, is still a compliment. So my word to YOU, out there in the world, is to love yourself 'cause nobody can't do it like you, and regardless what they say, keep on doing what you do because, guess what?, it got me right here!"

11 comments:

lousy louise said...

total que esta noche hay un tifon, la casa tiembla de verdad, pero he visto tu post de andre y me ha puesto de tan buen humor que me ido a pasear por el barrio contra viento y marea, me he encontrado una fiesta de halloween solo de blancanieves, y me lo he pasado pipa, gracias de verdad, tu blog es magico.
no te escribo pero pienso en ti todos los dias y te echo tantisimo de menos, besos a montones, sonia

Miss at la Playa said...

ése es su pelo auténtico??? dios mío! si mide más de un metro!

jr said...

i never heard of this person before, i dunno nothin about the controversy you addressed i nthe beginning of your post but THIS GUY IS FIERCE! what a role model!

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

JJAJJA ese Andre debe ser muy divertido, aunque debo reconocer que la carátula es un tropiezo para la Rotfield... Carolyn aparece muy desaprovechada, pero bueno, todos cometemos errores, aun cuando se trate de la diosa de la moda actual no?

Bobble Bee said...

soni, yo pienso en ti TODOS los dias tambien, y no sabes la alegria q me ha dado saber de ti ^_^
te he escrito a tu nuevo email... tom me lo dio pero no se si es o no es... besote desde freezing NY

Fenke said...

wow...his speech in the video is just too cool for words! He is great.

Teresa said...

I thought I was the only one that thought the French Vogue cover was reminiscent of a hirsute Kate Moss! I love French Vogue for these kinds of covers; you'd never see this on a US Vogue cover, NEVER.

MARIA H said...

He is as fresh as fashion should be.
I would take him over 10 katemosses.

Anonymous said...

...and his legs certainly worth Kate Moss' legs!

Anonymous said...

Like I always say, if it's being talked about, Vogue did something right.

Samantha West said...

Holy Shit! I cant believe Andre is on there. I adore it! He is a NYC Gem. Better than Amanda. yes yes yes x