Tuesday, November 20, 2007

On Costume Designers and Wardrobe Masters

Before being fashion stylist I started my career in the media business (TV, Films, Magazines) as a costume/wardrobe designer, alas, I decided the clothing that the actors would wear in a movie.
In big budget films the costume designer not only decides the clothing an actor would wear, but designs it too, so it does the job of a fashion designer plus his/her own.
Movies has been, and still are, my biggest passion as you might guessed, so working in the Seventh Art as a costume designer was a dream come true.
For over four years I was in and out of a set every one day and sometimes months in a row. Unfortunately watching movies is not as working in them so after years of no sleep and creativity frustration, I started to switch to styling jobs and now is becoming rare to see me in a feature set. Nevertheless, I follow in awe and still love with all my heart costume design and good Costume/Wardrobe designers are my truly ever love, with Milena Canonero in the top top.

There are many books about Costume Design but the best I've found and the one that really tells what's going on is Deborah Nadoolman's Screencraft: Costume Desing.
Naddolman, a costume designer herself, (Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), The Blues Brothers (1980) and director of the Costume Designers Guild, collected interviews with 14 of the best Costume Designers of today, including Milena Canonero (A Clockwork Orange, Marie Antoniette), Eiko Ishioka (Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Cell), Piero Tosi (Il Gattopardo, La Caduta Degli Dei aka The Damned) and Sandy Powell (Shakespeare in Love, Orlando).
The book is an exquisite journey through the work of these incredible designers, their views, their sketches, anecdotes and knowledge. It is such a gem of a book thanks to the extraordinary selection of the best costume designers nowadays and their own personal voice in the telling of their work.
Reading Milena Canonero's experience while filming Out of Africa when she discovered that one of the costume truck drivers was selling the wardrobe pieces to the native prostitutes in exchange of their "services" is priceless...

>>> the edition I have is in Spanish but it is published in English too






















3 comments:

Miss at la Playa said...

qué pasada de libro...

y qué guay lo de ser wardrobe designer... bueno, quitando lo que tú has dicho... por cierto, qué has estudiado tú?

No me he olvidado de las Nylon, pero es que no me funciona paypal. Voy a intentar solucionarlo este finde

Ashe said...

This book looks wonderful! Costume design for film and movies.. god, that would be a dream job come true! I'll have to look around for this book, as it sounds fantastic.

And thank you for the comment on my blog. <3

Bobble Bee said...

Moni: estudie Diseno de moda en el IED en Roma.