Monday, November 12, 2007

A Woman's Obsession

When I looked at the pictures that French photographer Chantal Stoman did of Japanese women consuming Western luxury brands such Chanel, Gucci or Hermes, I couldn't help but being amazed at the respect, interest and obsession at once that these women professed to the objects they were purchasing and/or carrying already.
The buyers surprised me, and the sale assistants fascinated me even more for they're total submissiveness to the costumer, so different from our dear ones (the Western ones) who seems they are doing us a favor by allowing us to shop and spend our money in the stores.

The French photographer
re-visited Tokyo several times after her first visit to take pictures of these women and their obsession, and with the help of an interpreter she encountered dozens of Japanese women in her quest to understand their motivations and ardent love of fashion and she learnt this: "The Japanese woman regards fashion as a unique form of art, which - for her - is superior to all other forms of creation."
The French Institute in NY is now showing these pictures in an exhibition called A Woman's Obsession that will run until December 1st as part of their Fashion Month.

9 comments:

riz said...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I will look into this!

WendyB said...

I should go see this!

Teresa said...

My friend's father manages Chanel in SF, and he says this Japanese
tourist came in one day and spent
$100,000.00 in pure US cash on Chanel quilted purses - amazing. I wonder if she carried the money in a huge Louis Vuitton suitcase or something.

WendyB said...

God, why don't I ever meet anyone like that tourist! Well, actually, I wouldn't accept a large amount of cash. Why can't I meet anyone with that much credit?

Victor Castro said...

This sounds like an interesting exhibition. Wish I was in NY for this and other exhibits, such as Damien Hirst's work at The Met, at least I have 3 years for this one.

Glad I visited your blog. I just don't know how I'm gonna keep up with all these interesting blogs. Lately I'm enjoying reading them more then posting, which I have to get back to.

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Interesting exhibition! How luxury and fashion mixed two cultures, even more interesting

In Yr Fshn said...

Those pictures are amazing! I love the Eastern attitude and reverence towards luxury goods, or just goods in general...

mahret said...

Hi Patricia, just wanted to let you know that I awarded you with the "thinking blogger award" - as I've been nominated before. So whatever this thinking blogger thing really means and wheter you pass it on or not. I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate your work - as I hope you already know ♥
Best, M.

more info

Bobble Bee said...

Teresa: $100,000.00 in pure US cash? thta's really something to think about...

v*kstro: So glad someone like you likes my blog. :) I'm a little like you these days, enjoining others more than working on mine...

mahret: thanks thanks thanks so much. I DO really appreciate your work in yours because i know how much time and effort you throw in F&Art.