Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Goo See It

The image “http://www.metmuseum.org/special/superheroes/images/sh_inside_patriotic.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I remember from some comment that Riz from Mode et Utopie wasn't very excited about the selection that the MET chose for this year's fashion exhibition.
But let me tell ya, Superheores: Fashion and Fantasy is superb.
I went this morning to take a look and I stayed there for more than an hour! The fact that they chose such a not-so-random subject is what makes this exhibition so special.
The link between fashion and comics' characters is very interesting and to see the real costumes from movies like Spiderman or Iron Man is quite something. I couldn't take my eyes off the cat-suit that Syren Couture created for Catwoman /Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman! Or the aerodynamic suits from Speedo or Nike. Or the creations of Hussein Chalayan, Gareth Pugh, Balenciaga... It's worth it.

The image “http://www.metmuseum.org/special/superheroes/images/sh_inside_aerodynamic.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, i'd love to see this exhibtion. comics have always been a huge inspiration for me - especially the old school superheroes.

Miss at la Playa said...

y aquí que van a cerrar el Museo del Traje...

Anonymous said...

i sure hope they had stills form flash gordon... that movie still inspires me!

maybe i'll see the exhib if i can get to nyc...
:(

Anonymous said...

que buena pinta tiene

mahret said...

I LOVED it. Bought the catalouge and the history of wonder woman...

Anonymous said...

Just read an article in the New Yorker - "Unitard Theory" . . . dealing with (possibly impossible) costumes

Secret Skin
xx

In Yr Fshn said...

I feel like I missed something! All these bloggers seemed to love it, but I thought it was SO lacking and almost seemed like a hurried grad school thesis project. To me, there was no real connection... it was such a forced thing. But the catwoman dresses were awesome.

la femme said...

I'm dying to see it! The Met has amazing looking exhibits at the moment...