Last weekend I visisted the exhibition Nan Kemper: American Chic at the Metropolitan Museum in New York.I must admit I didn't know who this woman was, i confess my ignorance, so i can't say my expectations were high or low, i was just going to see a fashion exhibition, which is enough for me.
My sorprise was to found out this woman was just a socialite with a lot of money to espend in cloths. That was it. I'm sorry if I hurt someone with this post but I'm quite dissapointed for this exhibit.
This woman was, as i said, just a rich woman with a very good taste and very good conections. She purchased great clothing and kept them to the end. She had a body to die for, which helped the cloths to look great on her.As a rich woman she was able to "donate" her clothing to the Costume Institute hoping to see that clothing in the MET eventually... was that move for the sake of the designers or for her own sake?. I want to think she was a real fashion lover and was for the sake of the designers.
Visiting the show let me the impression of being in a show curated for her friends to remind her and how well dressed she was, not to pay hommage to the designers that designed that clothing.
I'm tired to listen about "elegant" women whose only effort is to have money enough to buy nice clothing.
It is far more interesting to see a person mixing clothing form everywhere, cheap, expensive, old and new and still having an amazing style. I can give names, Kate Moss, Agyness Dean, Lou Dillon... those are really interesting women whose taste blows me away anytime i see a picture of them.
I'm not attacking Nan, of course I'm not. I'm attacking the MET for featuring such a joke.
This kind of show should be for a private museum, not for the MET. Or maybe i'm wrong! Hopefully i am...


3 comments:
last year the MET did a show that sounds similar to the nan kemper show, but featured the fabulous clothes of iris apfel, who was probably closer to what you desire. iris is/was a flamboyant dresser, with a penchant for color and drama, and she mixed ethnic with classic, cheap with expensive. this link has photos from the exhibit...it was so inspiring in person.
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={7CB39788-9BE9-4A2E-B8E1-483662C5BC63}
Thanks for sharing that tricia!. Iris Apfel is/was a super inspiring woman!
I was curious about this show, and find your review honest and refreshing after what I've read in the fashion mags. Last year's iris apfel show does sound a bit more exciting!
Post a Comment