Thursday, September 27, 2007

It Looks Like Vintage but It's Brand New

Taking a walk for the East Village one random day in May, I stumbled upon a vintage clothing store I hadn't seen before, D/L Cerney. (13 E 7th Ave)
Out of curiosity I rang the bell and a very nice lady led me in.
I started to check around all the 40's-like dresses, the amazing men ties and the shoes, all impeccably preserved to be vintage.
Everything seemed so new to me I couldn't help myself but asking the woman on the counter if those things were vintage or otherwise .. quite a stupid question if you think about it.

Linda St. John, such was the name of the woman, she later introduced herself to me, explained how those dresses I was enjoining were not vintage but brand new and designed for her.

Being a big fan of the 40's as I am I started to talk to her right away and soon we found we had so many things in common.

I spent in her store the whole evening, not less than 2 hours, listening to her stories from the East Village in the 80's, when she opened the store together with her husband.
We talked about politics, Art, fashion... she told me she couldn't understand the reason why current designers design unflattering clothing, hiding the women's body in layers of fabric that don't make any sense ... I tried hard to explain the reason why but of course, she knew how to backed up her position... there was nothing I could do.

Later she introduced me her 1,000 Skinny Girls, a collection of 1,000 rag dolls made out of rags and wire, dolls that have been traveling for different shows around the country. They are sooooo lovely I wanted to take them all, even though they're not in sale. And she gave me and signed her book Even Dogs Go Home To Die ...

If you happen to be in the city, check this store out, it's such a gem. And if you are a wardrobe designer, do not hesitate to come here for 40's stuff.
It was one of those days you leave home rather bored and arrived pretty excited.

7 comments:

Fenke said...

ahhh..why do i live so f*** far away? i love the 40ies aswell:-)

WendyB said...

Cool stuff! I will have to check it out. Why has it not really hit me that you're in NYC till now? We should meet up!

Bobble Bee said...

Hey Wendy yeah we need to catch up someday :)

WendyB said...

Email me at wbjewelry (at) gmail dot com! We should get inyrfshn to come along before she moves to Philadelphia!

In Yr Fshn said...

First, Bobble, this post is awesome! I am rarely confident enough to go into stores like that; I envy both that you'll go in and get a great story from the experience.

Second, Hello! Nice to meet you!

Bobble Bee said...

Nice to meet you too in yr fshn! :)
Thanks for your lovely comment.. you know, it was one of those days i felt very self-confident and talkative ... im not usually that way ... unfortunately!

The Truth said...

yeah girl you are stylin every once in awhile i find some really vintage awesome etc.. especially vintage shades im a big collector i just found a few sites but this one stuck out in particular http://www.houseofsunglasses.com/