Friday, September 14, 2007

Those Were the Days ... Diana Vreeland on XVIII Centuy

The first costume I designed was a XVIII Century gray dress that my mom made patiently following my not very helpful indications.
I was 7 or 8 years old and obsessed with Romy Schneider and her role of Empress Sissi of Baviera ... who lived during the XIX Century. My knowledge of fashion wasn't very wide really, but one thing I knew; I loved big dresses and tiny waists and I didn't care if that was XVIII or XIX, all was quite the same to me.
Since then my fashion history knowledge has increased a little bit and now I can, I hope, distinguish a dress from one Century to the other.
My love for XVIII dresses is still fully alive and I enjoy more than anyone movies like Dangerous Liaisons, Valmont or Perfume; The Story of a Murderer, and I couldn't be happier to see Milena Canonero wining this year's Achievement in Costume Design award during the Annual Academy Awards for Marie Antoniette, a film about a XVIII century Queen.

Looking for info about this period I stumbled upon this video of the great Diana Vreeland, showing me that I am not alone in this love for big skirts and tiny waists...

** more info about XVIII fashion here


4 comments:

T.T. said...

Entonces para ti, María Antonieta(la película) debió ser una auténtica joya, no?

Un besoo,
xxx

Miss at la Playa said...

no me puedo creer que a alguien le llegó a gustar sissi tanto como a mi! recuerdo que conseguir los episodios en video era como lo más importante cuando tenía 7 años jaja

Bobble Bee said...

la verdad q la peli me decepciono bastante como peli ... pero el vestuario.. WOW me encanto :)

miss... no sabes cuantas llantinas me lleve xq no consegui el ultimo video de Sissi !!! obsesion total ^_^

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting this... i love learnign about fashion history, because it's so darn new to me!
; )