Tuesday, October 30, 2007

On Cristina Ortiz

I've been in love with Cristina Ortiz since her days at Lanvin back in 1997.
After working for Prada as Designer Director for 3 years (1994-97), this Canary Islands native became head designer of Lanvin, being the person who helped the French fashion house to reborn after years in anonimity. Her designs, still today so avant-garde, were pure 90's: sleek, minimal and very chic.

When she departed from Lanvin in 2001 (to be replaced by Alber Elbaz) she remained "silent" for some years and then I got nervous...
Then in 2005 the Italian fashion house Brioni appointed her Creative Director of its women's collection, good news for me and new designs for all.

Her debut at Brioni was spectacular and I couldn't take my eyes off her black/white designs: no wonder, again, so sleek, so chic, so minimal.

She became my favourite over again and I always wondered, why is she still not as famous as, let's say, designers that work for other houses like Guesquiére, Theyskens or Philo? I dunno.

Last summer Ortiz was in the headlines again when Salvatore Ferragamo named her creative director of its women's ready-to-wear collections, succeeding Scottish designer Graeme Black that will focus then in his own label.
Ortiz's appointment as chief designer will begin with the Fall 2008 collection, and I would lie if I'd tell you I'm not excited.

* all images courtesy of style.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooohhh i love her designs and lanvin is by far one of the most beautiful fashion houses at present.

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Beautiful designs, I love them all!

In Yr Fshn said...

Gorgeous! I love the pop of red amongst the black and white.

WendyB said...

There was a red Brioni dress that I was dying for last year.