Tuesday, December 25, 2007

On "per click" ads... are they really "per click"?

When shopzilla contacted me months ago to place an ad in my blog it was a very happy day for me; I needed money at the time for milkshake chocolate's expenses and it also gave me the chance I was craving for, getting paid for my time and ideas.

They were very honest with me from the beginning and we discussed different wages until we got the deal.

Months later they offered me to place ads "per click"; I would get paid regarding the "clicks" those ad-links would get from my readers.
I thought it a good idea and placed those ads for a couple of months... until I realized I was advertising those companies (others than shopzilla) without getting paid. Then I decided to remove them.

Since then I am still trying to figure out why these "per click" ads are so popular (google is a favourite) among bloggers who want or need to earn some money. Many of these bloggers are quite followed thus their traffic permits these ads to do "their job".

Those ads have the name of the company big and bold and so it gets stuck in our heads somehow. Therefore, companies are advertising in the blog without paying a penny. Aren't those companies playing with the bloggers' "hope" that someone will click?.

I wonder how many people click those ads.
They (the ads) are rather dull and uninteresting, we are reading a blog and don't want to be bothered. The months I have them up not even one person did a single click.

This is my opinion and the reason why I removed those "per click" ads. They're not for me, thanks.
>>> More on blog-sploitation* by the great Liberty London Girl.


//El día que shopzilla me contactó para poner anuncios en mi blog fue un gran dia para mí porque por una parte necesitaba dinero para pagar algunos gastos de milkshake chocolate y por otro por fín veia hacerse realidad mi sueño de ser pagada por mi tiempo e ideas.
Desde el primer momento he de decir que fueron muy legales conmigo, negociamos durante algun tiempo hasta que me ofrecieron algo que nos convnia a los dos y cerré el trato.
Despues de aquello me volvieron a contactar para publicar anuncios "per click", esto es, recibiria dinero dependiendo de cuantos click esos link recibieran por parte de mis lectores.
Pronto me di cuenta de que estaba haciendo publicidad sin cobrar un duro porque al fín y al cabo el nombre de la empresa estaba bien claro escrito con lo cual mis lectores se quedaban con la copla sin necesidad de clickar. Entonces decidí eliminarlos.
Desde entonces todavia no me explico cómo estos anuncios "per click" son todavia tan famosos. Esta es claro mi opinión y seguro que hay gente a quien le funciona. A mí no me funcionó y mi experiencia me dijo que la publicidad estaba ahí y yo sin cobrar nada. No gracias.
Liberty London Girl publicó un post sobre publicidad y otros problemillas de bloggers, si sabes inglés no dudes en leerlo, vale la pena la información que tiene.

3 comments:

Suzanna Mars said...

BB, it seems to me that many people simply don't grasp HOW the ads work, hence their enthusiasm. You are correct in thinking that the advertiser is then getting free advertising, because even if no one clicks on the ad, the name is imprinted subconsciously (or so ad theory works!). You have correctly assessed this strategy in your excellent post.

Of course, the higher the traffic, the more lucrative the ad. And the type of ad DOES matter; for instance, consider Dooce, who has the most lucrative ads that people in fact probably DO click on (Ford, etc).

Personally, I'd only click if 1. the ad had a visual impact (curiousity factor, interaction) or 2. it was advertising something in which I had an interest (random).

Fenke said...

I was asking myself the same thing. And just like you I figured: I never click on those ads, will anyone else? So that is also one reason that our blog is still adfree - although the idea of making money out of all the work is still there. I am only waiting for the right ad:-)

Liberty London Girl said...

Thanks for the appreciation love... it is all rather a difficult call. LLG xx