Myspace or Iqons*, and now the new Dripbook, have been used as platforms for fashion creatives to show their work to the world community. But I always wondered what does it happen with those whose fashion activities lye in words, history research or sociology, whose not-image based work can't compete with, let's say, Chalayan. In other words, how can fashion historians, journalists and sociologists express their opinions and show them to the world without being overshadowed by their visual peers?... How can they make their point clear and succeed?So far we had blogger, and it really helped, and I thought that was all we can dream of in terms of "free" fashion journalism until I randomly found SandraLondon63 in Youtube...
Sandra London is, I guess, from London, and she is like a fashion historian and a filmmaker who researches, edits and posts videos about fashion and art in Youtube, starting with the roaring 20's to the 50's decade.
I find her footage a delightful experience, well researched and eye candy for fashion lovers; have you ever wondered why hemlines dropped to the ankle during the 30's?, when the platform shoes were born (and it wasn't in the 70's)? or how 1941 fabric rationing during II WW leaded the fashion industry to create new products as rayon?... then watch her videos!
The short-films are silent with signs that tell you what's happening (the same way movies did in the 20's) and only the sounds of Duke Ellington or Rosemary Clooney accompanies the footage. I can't think of a better way to show what you know other than a coffee table book. So let's add youtube to our bookmarks.
My favourite decades... the 30's and 40's by SandraLondon63.
1930s - Fashion and Design during the Depression
1940s - Style and Fashion during the Wartime Era


6 comments:
Wow - those are great.
Seconded! How original! Thanks for sharing these; would not have known about them otherwise.
Wow!! you are very generous sharing this! Thanks, really, the clips are great
Oh I'm very glad you enjoyed them as i did!
Hopefully with our support more people will start doing videos like these... and who knows, maybe next time they will run on TV :)
Wow, Excellent!! Can't wait to check this out. I need to be better informed in fashion history...
While I admire Sandra's dedication, it is unfortunate that her research is not really accurate, nor thoughtful. Why, for instance, would bias dresses develop in times of economic crisis, especially since they require more fabric than on-grain styles? And hems dropped in 1927 (look at what Louiseboulanger and Lelong doing then). She mentions Schiaparelli, without referencing surrealism. What about all of the other designers working then? Chanel?? And what about Rochas and Schiaparelli inventing the strong shoulder line that was a 40's staple in 1937? Not to be picky, but since I have an MA in Fashion History, it bugs the heck out of me when I see inaccurate and incomplete fashion history lessons.
Post a Comment