Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Beatific Soul: Jack Kerouac on the Road

I said I would be away from blogging for a week and here I am posting something again... blogging is like a drug!

After two days straight in front of my computer editing the winter issue of milkshake chocolate i needed some fresh air so I went this evening to see the exhibition Beatific Soul: Jack Kerouac on the Road coinciding with the 50's anniversary of Kerouac's On The Road with my friend Ainne (a beatnik herself for a couple of years) at the New York Public Library.

Although this exhibition has little to do with fashion, I say, it has nothing to do with it, i post about it because it is really worth a visit. And it reminded me the post about "Beatnik" style that Jennine posted not long ago or the "beatnik-like" wardrobe of Hepburn in Funny Face...

This mega exhibit features the work of the father of the Beat generation, his complex world and work together with his friends Allen Ginsberg, Neal Cassady and William S. Burroughs; manuscripts, photographies, correspondence, diaries, drawings, music from the author music-library (classical music and radio tunes) and the famous "scroll" typescript from On The Road.

I couldn't finish to see the whole exhibit because as i said, is enormous, but i plan to come back soon.

/// Aunque anuncié que no escribiria en lo menos una semana para encargarme de editar el proximo numero de milkshake chocolate, no he podido resistirme... esto es como una droga!
Despues de estar literalmente pegada al ordenador por dos dias seguidos necesitaba aire fresco y me he ido con mi amiga Ainne a ver la absolutamente maravillosa exposicion Beatific Soul: Jack Kerouac on the Road en la Libreria Publica de NY.
Este año se cumple el 50 aniversario de la publicacion del famoso libro On the Road (En el Camino) de Kerouac y asi se ha aprovechado tal fecha para sacar a la luz manuscritos, fotografias y toda clase de parafernalia, incluido el super famoso texto de En el Camino, taquigrafiado en un solo rollo de papel como si fuese un pergamino.

La exposicion no tiene nada que ver con moda pero me recordo el post que Jennine de The Coveted hizo hace poco sobre el estilo Beatnik, asi como el look de Audrey Hepburn en Funny Face.
Si estais por la ciudad no dudeis en ir a verla, vale la pena. Es gigantesca, y yo no he podido terminarla entera pero aun asi espero volver muy pronto.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Neal Cassady!

Anonymous said...

OMG !!!! I LOVE THIS!!!

Suzanna Mars said...

BB, this is WAY COOL. How I'd love to see that! It is style any way you look at it, cultural style, and therefore fashionable. But you are always chic regardless of topic!

riz said...

Burroughs is excellent...

In Yr Fshn said...

Ack! I still want to see this but not sure when I'll make the time. Patricia--happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see this! On the Road definitely inspired me back in my high school days. And I still dress like a beatnik whenever my black turtleneck is clean.

WendyB said...

I should check that out...I'm always in that neighborhood.

Andrea Martínez Maugard said...

Me encantó Funny Face, y me encantó On the Road, reuniste dos de mis preferidos en un post