Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Punk Lady in 1944

And this lady is not other than the great Edith Head ...

I'm writing about this woman quite a bit in my latest posts without really explaining who she was. And maybe she is not as known as I might think, as not everyone has read the whole lot I have about her. (Actually I'm currently reading Edith Head's Hollywood by the designer herself and Paddy Calistro)

Some of you might "know" her face thanks to Disney's cartoon movie The Incredibles where she "played" the character Edna Mode.

Edith was the head designer at Paramount (although she would work for other studios as Universal or United Artists later in her career) for about 60 years and the first woman to succeed in a man's world: Costume Design. She is probably one of the most important costume designers in Hollywood's history together with MGM Gilbert Adrian, and the woman with more Oscars in her house (8 total).

She created Hollywood mythical outfits as Mae West's in She Done Him Wrong (this movie meant the beginning of Edith 's successful career), Audrey Hepburn's in Funny Face or Paul Newman and Robert Redford's in The Sting (this movie would give her the 8th and last Oscar in her career). She claimed to have worked on 1,131 films (Edith Head's Hollywood, page 163) in a time where costumes were actually designed and made, not bought as often happens nowadays. That's quite something!.

During World War II she was (and this is the point of my post's tittle), frequently quoted in magazines to advice women how to economize by sewing and designing their own clothing (those were rationing times ladies).
To support her own words she modeled in one of her DIY creations: she hand-painted safety-pins in a plain white blouse and used safety pins instead of buttons for the closing.

A : safety pins instead of buttons
B: hand-painted safety pins
C: you can't really see in my scan but she's wearing safety pins in her ears...


D: a safety pin keeps blouse and skirt safe in place

Hard times are hard and we wish they don't happen to us but we can't deny they are the ones to make our brains work...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow... i was wondering how you got to know all this stuff! you are becoming quite the fahion historian! look out harold koda...

anyway, i have heard of her, but not known much about her, thanks for sharing, and the safety pins.. hot!

WendyB said...

She was so talented and I loved the Edna character in the Incredibles! She was the highlight of the movie.

Bobble Bee said...

jennine: Thanks for the comparison! Harold Koda... wow! :)
I don't want people to forget important people of the past, mostly people that has been so important in the my working field... you know? everyone talks and LOVES Audrey in Funny Face and EVERYONE posts about her outfits... but no one credits the designer! Edith Head :)

wendy: the highlight indeed. I was all the time waiting her appearance in the movie!

Anonymous said...

She was great!! I discovered her work when I watched "Roman Holiday". Head won an Oscar for "Best Costume Design", and in the DVD was an special of her. Just amazing.
I like your blog more and more!! :-)

enlace

riz said...

I agree watch out Harold Koda! Gee you are so knowledgable. Where'd you get all those facts?? It certainly wasn't Jeopardy.

(Hey has there ever been a Jeopardy category like fashion as such, hmmm I wonder...)
We could all stand to make some $$ I reckon!

Miss at la Playa said...

vaya, sabía que edna moda estaba inspirada en una diseñadora real, pero no sabía que era ella! el golpe es una de mis películas preferidas

Bobble Bee said...

Thanks mer! :)

riz: i spent all my free time reading blogs and... books about costume design, movies and fashion! Unfortunately i can't quote every book when i write all the facts because sometimes i just forget where i read them, the info just get stuck in my head somehow and i remember it.
Now i'm reading "Edith Head's Hollywood" so the topic is very fresh in my head. I love this woman and her life is so interesting to me... her "success" arrived very late in her life, she was almost 40 years old! and i think that's very inspiring to me because now we live in a moment in which if you don't get success at 20, then you're doomed... and i don't think that's very helpful.

Eva. said...

oh my God !! She was my favourite character whn I saw the incredibles.. one more person I would like to meet if I could..i love your blog!would you like to trade links?

María said...

I used to wear safety pins in my ears, because I thought it was punky...ha! I couldn't be more wrong.

Bobble Bee said...

** explanation **
I think my latest comment wasn't very correct... Edith Head designed the costumes of Audrey in Funny Face EXCEPT the fancy ones she wears in Paris, that were designed by Hubert de Givenchy.
All the rest of the cast, in every scene, Paris or NY, was dressed by Edith. Sorry if I wasn't very clear...